Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Machine Quilting Needs More Practice

I finally got to machine quilting yesterday on the Mystery Quilt. The BSR is nice but there is a learning curve to it, especially when I have not done that much machine quilting. My first mistake was I bought a heavier thread than I intended. It is a beautiful shaded green 100% cotton Sulky 30 wt. I didn't even notice the wt. when i purchased it I guess. I had one motif almost done when I figured it out and didn't want to rip so continued quilting the motifs with this thread then changed to Bottom Line for the background quilting.
My machine quilting is really needing practice. I do fine for a while then quick as a wink i can get angles and jogs where there should be smooth lines. I am also having trouble with my top thread breaking at times. I have changed needles, cleaned the bobbin area and re-threaded but it still breaks occasionally. If anyone out there can advise me I would appreciate it. (Have the 730 Bernina with BSR - just to remind you)
Anyway this is what it looks like so far. Am doing a simple stipple stitch for the background then will have a design in the last border where I will change back to the 30 wt. thread.
I need to quilt in the centers of the leaf rings yet and about half of the stippling to go.
Our tomato plants are really producing now and I just love them. I don't do any canning anymore but we eat a lot then give a lot away too. The cucumbers have slowed down some but still finding a few to eat. The second batch of sweet corn is ready now too so enjoying eating that again. I do want to freeze some more and hopefully can get that done this week sometime. (Too busy quilting this morning to do it today.)
I want to share a really good recipe for baked zucchini that I got from a friend. It is wonderful! My sister gave me some zucchini last weekend as I don't grow it in my garden and I made the casserole a couple of days ago. Glad there is some left over as I plan to have it for lunch today!
Baked Zucchini
5-7 small zucchini. peeled
1/2 cup butter
8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1/3 - 1/2 cups cracker crumbs (Saltines or Club crackers work great)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
1/4 teaspoon. garlic salt

Cut zucchini into slices and pan boil for 5 minutes. Drain. Melt butter and cream cheese. Add rest of ingredients and mix well. Put into greased 1 1/2 quart casserole. Garnish with buttered cracker crumbs . Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Try it you will like it - my theory is if you put cream cheese on anything it will taste good.
Lynn

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...