Sunday, March 28, 2010

Paducah On My Mind

I have been thinking of the trip to Paducah off and on for sometime but since yesterday it is about all I am thinking about. I just got this brochure in the mail from my friend. It is chock full of maps, dates and times of events in Paducah and area communities. Have been pouring over it since then.

My two sisters, a niece and good friend and I will be traveling to Paducah to the AQS show on Wed. April 21. I talked to my sisters this weekend and they are getting excited about the trip too. I have gone the last two years and it was the most wonderful time. The quilts are magnificent and the shopping is mind boggling. The first year I didn't even know what to look for first and did a lot of going back and forth to vendors. The second year I made a list and knew if I saw what I wanted I better get it because I might not see it again or it would be gone if I waited until later to purchase.

This year I have had a list pinned to the bulletin board in my sewing room since the first of the year, adding things as I think of them. The items aren't necessarily things that I am going to buy but some that I just want to see in person before I decide if I need/want to buy.

Here are some of the things on my list:

* Jacquard colorless Textile Extender - read that some use it to set colored pencil and printer ink. Have no place locally to get it so hope I can find it at one of the vendor booths.

* Pageboy Template - with it you can cut printer sized paper. I am always cutting freezer paper to size and invariably cut it wrong.

* Piping trimming ruler - used for doing piped binding

* Rotary Blade Sharpener

* Titanium topstitching needles - need to check with my Bernina dealer to make sure I can use them on my 730.

* Masterpiece thread in cones - use it for piecing as I love how fine it is and it doesn't add bulk to the seams.

* Viking Mega Spool Stand - have heard Bernina owners use this accessory on their spool holder and it works like the extra cone thread holder so you don't have a thread stand sitting behind the machine.

Now I want you all to get your thinking caps on the give me some ideas of other not to miss notions, threads, etc. that you absolutely love. I do like that quilters are always willing to tell about their most loved items so am anxiously waiting. I know that this is a wide open request but I really would like suggestions - anything - scissors, rulers, templates, threads, books, patterns, seam rippers, anything that has to do with sewing, designing, ironing, quilting, etc. Please take a look around your sewing area and take time to leave me a message.

One thing that I am curious about is are there any longarm accessories, tools or templates that will cross over to domestic machine quilting? I am always looking for new stuff to help my machine quilting.

I have never had a chance to go to Houston to the big show there but surely do enjoy the Paducah show and after the long winter we have had I am going to bask in the nice weather (I hope.) I feel really lucky to get to go, have a great time with my sisters and niece and friend plus we get to stay with the sweetest woman right in Paducah. Betty Jane is the mother-in-law of our friend, she is such a sweet woman and so generous to let us stay in her house so we try to be good guests. We don't want her to have to work while we are there so do what we can to make our stay enjoyable for her too. We like to take snacks, a meal or two, and a few bottles of wine. (Have to have happy hour each evening after we get back from the show don't you know.) We get the sheets all washed and put back on her beds before we leave so we hope she doesn't have so much to do after we leave to go home on Saturday morning. We all know how much work having company is and sure appreciate her letting us stay with her.

I am waiting for your suggestions.

Lynn

1 comment:

tich said...

Just off the top of my head, what about Alex Anderson's 4-in-1 tool, different sized/shaped rulers, material for printing in your personal printer and it goes without saying, material, books, material and more books. I want to come too!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...