Sunday, July 15, 2012

Machine Quilting with Mirage Thread by Wonderfil

IMG_8913I purchased this Mirage Thread by Wonderfil while I was in Paducah, Kentucky at the 2012 AQS show.  It is a 30wt. 2ply thread (think it is 2 ply after untwisting it).  This is a Rayon variegated  thread with a great shine and a subtle variegation of color.  I have heard that some rayon thread fades in the light but don’t know about that as this is the first time I have used it.

It is a dream to stitch with and is not as fine as the Invisafil thread but did not seem as heavy as the 40 wt. threads (YLI, King Tut and Signature).  Maybe it seems finer because it is soft and a different fiber than those cotton quilting threads.

I stitched this with my Bernina 730 with the BSR foot, size 12/80 topstitch needle, bamboo batting by Fairfield and used the default settings for tension and stitch length.  The bobbin thread I used was Bottom Line by Superior Threads.

The cone is small but I can't seem to find any way to secure the thread so ended up putting one of those little girl ponytail elastics around it.  Let me know if I am missing something on the spool to secure the thread.

This is beautiful looking when stitched and I would use it again but do want to do some research on how Rayon thread holds up over time.  Anyone have any experiences with rayon thread that can offer some insight?

Until Later,

Lynn

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...